Roland Forums

1 of 2
Making the connection.(Roland 2480>MV8000>Fantomx6>Motifes6>MC 909.
Posted: 20 September 2009 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2009-09-20
Im wanting to use my Roland 2480 as the master and the MV 8000 as the slave/sequencer could you help me with configuring the 2480 to sink with MV 8000. I already have songs on MV 8000 and would like to layer each song track by track into the 2480 for mastering. What are the midi connections and internal settings? Next i want to use my Fantomx6, Motifes6 and MC 909 as sound modules recording into the MV8000. Could someone help me with this what are the midi and internal settings. Thanks

With Respect,

Blazedemension

Posted: 22 September 2009 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1820
Joined  2008-10-15
That's quite a set-up you've got there....
I would hope your supplier would offer some assistance?.

I think I'm going to have to tackle this in stages.
There's so much I have to try and work out, and as I don't own any of it, it's going to be even harder
It looks as if your main priority is the VS-2480 to MV-8000 link.

I went to check out the manual for the MV-8000. There appears to be different versions of the MV-8000. So I think we need to find out your version.

I did have a look at the 'get me started' pdf. I see it has the R-bus link, so your audio connection is no doubt using this.
As the MV-8000 only has 1 set of MIDI connections (in, out, & thru) I'm wondering if a MIDI patchbay may come to the rescue, as the Fantom, Motif, and MC-909 will need MIDI control too.
The best MIDI patchbay I've used is Audio Architecture's 'Function Junction'. Not been made for some time sadly, but you might find one on ebay.

I'm also wondering if the MV-8000 shouldn't be the master in this set-up. It's a audio and MIDI sequencer is it not?
The VS-2480 a hard-disk recorder. If it's synced to the MV-8000 it would run along side, and using MMC (MIDI Machine Control) could also be start when the MV-8000 is started. MTC (MIDI time code) would keep it all in sync.
 Signature 

the Sonic Energy Authority

Posted: 22 September 2009 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2009-09-20
Ok lets do this partner, i know that someone out there needs this. Ok yes what i want to do is link the 2480 with the MV 8000. The 2480 will be the Master and the MV8000 the slave. I do own the MV 8000. You are correct about using the R-BUS connection from the R-Bus 1 on the 2480 to the R-bus on the MV 8000. Your also correct about the MV having 1 set of MIDI connections (in, out, & thru). I do need a MIDI patch bay correct again were to find one comptable for this set up i dont know yet haven't found one(please help with that). Ok now what? I dont know im going to find a patch but lets say that i already have it(man i need that patchbay).
Ok ready.( i want to use my Fantomx6, Motifes6 and MC 909 as sound modules recording into the MV8000).To give you a hiint i will be using the Fantom x6 to trigger the sounds iin the motifes6. In the MV 8000 the perimiters will be A-1-16(Fantomx6 or MC 909)B-1-16 Motifes6). One thing at a time,i know sorry.

Posted: 22 September 2009 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
Still think I need the MV-8000 version, there is V2, V3, and V3.5
A location might be useful too.
There is also a version 2 of the OS on the VS, so again what version are you running with?

Why does the VS need to be the master?

If the MV-8000 was top banana it might be able run the lot, it does have 2 MIDI outs..
We might be able to get by without the MIDI patchbay, but they have their uses.
I had a Akai unit for a few days, found it didn't do what I wanted, I then got the Function Junction, which does the lot.
In other words, not all MIDI patchbays are equal.
A quick look around for patchbays resulted in... not that much. They were never a massive seller, and I think finding one is going to be a mission all on it's own.

Got to sign off, as I need to be up in a few hours..
 Signature 

Posted: 23 September 2009 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
I've downloaded the MV-8000 manual to try and get a heads up on it..
I've looked at the sync page and it's highlighted something which might be a lifesaver.

As you have a MV8-OP1 expansion board fitted to the MV-8000, it apparently adds addition MIDI channels via the R-bus. This may be very useful, it can mean either MV or VS can be master or slave. It doesn't tie up the actual normal MIDI ports.

I've downloaded the VS manual - oh my God... I've got a headache already.

You may not have concern yourself too much about the MIDI patchbay after all..

Let's see if we can get them talking to each other:

Pressing Setup and F2 on the MV takes you to the sync screen. Or Press the Sync button and then ENTER.

The MMC section, turn on the R-BUS If MASTER is on then the MV controls the functions of the VS (play, stop, fast forward, back, etc.) If you want the VS to 'run' MV change MMC to slave.

On the VS Press SHIFT and SYNC, this should take you to the Sync parameter screen.
Hopefully the sync is on INT See the R-Bus 1 section turn that to ON.
If you wanted to clock the VS to the MV, you would need to select sync to EXT, and then EXT sync source to R-BUS 1
MMC control is handled my UTILITY and then MIDI (F5 - if MIDI is not under F5, press the PAGE button until it is).
You see the MMC at the bottom, you can select MASTER or SLAVE, and (hopefully) select the source as R-BUS 1.

Give it ago, and let us (well me at least) know if we are heading in the right direction.

Then perhaps we can move on to our next problem..
 Signature 

Posted: 04 October 2009 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2009-09-20
Thanks im working on this now, well will be in touch. I just bought the 8 by 8 midi patchbay so were do we go from here?

Posted: 07 October 2009 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
Good to hear that everything is working with the VS & MV.
You may want to read the section regarding digital audio clock, any problems with that normally show up as nasty clicks and pops.

So you've a 8 X 8 MIDI patch bay now too..
Do you have a make & model number?

I'm a bit pre-occupied at the moment, it looks as if I may be out of a job in the very near future..
 Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2009 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Joined  2009-09-20
MIDI Express 128 Overview

MIDI Express 128 is a 8-in/9-out MIDI interface compatible with Macintosh and Windows.

Built from the same technology found in MOTU's flagship MIDI Timepiece, the MIDI Express 128 is a professional MIDI interface that provides plug-and-play connectivity to any USB-equipped Macintosh or Windows computer. The Express 128 provides 8 MIDI IN, 9 MIDI OUT, 128 MIDI channels and compatibility with all Macintosh and Windows software.

http://www.motu.com/products/midi/128

Posted: 11 October 2009 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
This is a MIDI interface for use with a computer, quite different to a MIDI patchbay.

Not sure if this is going to help..

I thought you where running everything from the MV sequencer wise.
 Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2009 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Joined  2009-09-20
ok lets forget about the patchbay. Today i started hooking up the mv and the 2480, making the mv the master and the 2480 as slave, ca we go from there? From the internal settings to the midi

Posted: 12 October 2009 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
Have you managed to get the MV & VS working together yet with the R-bus link?

It's important to know as it frees up the normal MIDI ports to allows us to get to level II
 Signature 

Posted: 20 October 2009 05:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
Ok

I'll assume it is working then..

Fantom MIDI out to MIDI in of MV-8000
MV-8000 MIDI A out to MIDI in of Fantom (you may need to turn off local control)
Fantom MIDI thru to MIDI in of MC-909.
MV -8000 MIDI B out to MIDI in of Motif.

As the Fantom and MC-909 share MIDI channels you will have to decide instrument plays a the part you are after. Say you want a piano sound on the Fantom on MIDI channel 1. You would have to make sure that the MC-909 part is turned off on MIDI channel 1, as it will also play what is intended for the Fantom.
 Signature 

Posted: 07 November 2009 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Rank
Joined  2009-09-20
Just to let you know that i havent forgot about you, im here just working on this set-up. Doing everything your instructing me to do, be back. Please dont close this thread this very important to me thanks.

Posted: 07 November 2009 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
No worries..

Hope things are progressing nicely.
Sadly I've just been made redundant from my work place, so I'm a bit pre-occupied myself at the moment.
 Signature 

Posted: 14 November 2009 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Rank
Joined  2009-09-20
Ok i have everything hook up how do i listen through VS2480? Can i also use it as a mixer that i simply listen to the music that i make before recording. I place the head phones on and didnt hear anything. Im going to try again.

Posted: 17 November 2009 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
It should be possible to use it as a mixer..
You will need the audio outs of your instruments to be routed to the VS-2480. MIDI only sends data, it doesn't carry audio.
There's 16 audio ins, so you should be okay. Start at Channel 16 an work backwards, this should leave you a few audio ins with jack or XLR inputs. The XLR's might be handy if your thinking of recorded anything using a microphone (real instruments, or vocals).

Your MV can send it's audio via R-Bus. Not 100% sure if you will be able to monitor this, with the analogue in's at the same time. You'll have to check and see.
 Signature 

1 of 2

‹‹ sde-330 schematics?      1+1 =3 ? ››