Roland Forums

SPD SX External Pads Cancel Each Other Out!? PLEASE HELP!!!
Posted: 03 June 2012 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-06-03
I have had my SPD SX for a few days now, and a problem that I am beginning to notice is that if I play snare (external PD85) and kick (yamaha KP 65) at exactly the same time, the snare is cancelled out. This is a problem if I'm doing rolls with kick or just single hits at precisely the same time. It's incredibly frustrating and there is no way I could use this on a gig with such a problem.

If anyone has any idea what this could be caused from or is experiencing a similar problem please let me know!

Thanks,

thom

Posted: 04 June 2012 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2012-04-16
This could be a few things. And unless your unit is defective you can resolve this.

1. Are you splitting one of the external triggers and using Head and Rim. If so you need to use the correct splitter. you can't use a headphone splitter. You need to take the stero input and split it into 2 mono signals(the splitter you buy, will say head and rim on the correct inputs. if thats not the problem....

2. Do you have the mute groups on? you can set up mute groups so when you hit one pad the other pad in the mute group shuts off immediately.

hope this helps.

Posted: 05 June 2012 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-06-03
I haven't had time to take a look at the mute groups yet, but yes I am using head and rim for the snare which is using a TRS cable into trigger input 3/4. I am also using a TRS for the kick trigger and I am not using it as a dual trigger. It is going into input 1/2. I'm not really sure what you mean about using a splitter.

I can say this though: when I hit the kick and snare at exactly the same time the snare trigger does not light up on the spd sx. Usually the 3 or 4 will illuminate red when it is triggered but this does not happen when they are triggered with the kick (trigger 1) simultaneously.

Posted: 22 June 2012 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-06-03
figured it out

Posted: 22 June 2012 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1893
Joined  2008-10-15
Not having a SPD-SX meant I couldn't really help, but out of curiosity, how did you fix the problem?

Besides, the information could benefit others who may end up in a similar position.
 Signature 

the Sonic Energy Authority

Posted: 22 June 2012 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-06-03
Sure. All the relevant parameters are in 'Setup'. There you can adjust Crosstalk and basically how long the pad waits until it allows another trigger. If it is set very low, like 1ms, then kick and snare would never really cancel each other out unless you play like a machine, but if it's a bit higher like 5ms then you end up with problems when you play multiple pads simultaneously. Anyway, you just gotta mess with all the numbers until you find the pads reacting the way you want them to!

Posted: 08 August 2012 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-08-08
I had the same problem and I found this in manual at page 62, and solved the problem:
If the value is set too high, and two pads are played simultaneously, the one that is struck less forcefully may not sound. Be careful and set this parameter to the minimum value required to prevent crosstalk.

This is about XTALK CANCEL parameter.