Roland Forums

xp 50 display/battery problem
Posted: 18 April 2012 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-04-18
tried to reactivate my trusty old xp-50 today after quite a considerable time today. I started up, then got the message "user memory damaged/ battery low". So I changed the battery; afterwards, on starting up, those black blocks that appear on startup would briefly blink, the current sound would appear for a short time, barely readable though, and then the whole display would just go bright orange (sounds are still there, though). At first I thought "oy, I damaged everything", but after changing back to the old "low" battery, the display works just fine.

any explanations, anyone?

Posted: 18 April 2012 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1892
Joined  2008-10-15
A tad unusual..

Are you absolutely sure the replacement battery is the same type / model?
It shouldn't alter any of the screen settings, but you never know..

It could be a pure co-incidence, and perhaps you disturbed a cable or something.
If the battery is the correct type, try again.

Whereabouts are you?
 Signature 

the Sonic Energy Authority

Posted: 19 April 2012 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2008-11-28
I have experiences problems with several synths when using the wrong battery. On paper the battery type should make little difference as long as the voltage is OK, however it seems to be down to width and diameter, the contacts have poor connections.

Better than the old days when you had to solder them on!

If the battery is the right one try doing a sys ex dump out of and into the synth, often a synth can be revived by doing this.

Posted: 19 April 2012 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-04-18
the battery is the right one (cr 2032), at least on paper; it seems to fit properly, too.I have no equipment for testing of exact voltage. the synth itself seems to be alright too; the sounds and knobs seem to be still working, as far as I can tell, which is not very far, as the display wont work..

Posted: 19 April 2012 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-04-18
...which is also, why I dont see how to do a system exclusive dump.. I cant see what I am doing

Posted: 19 April 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-04-18
..problem solved!

apparently changing the battery just changed the contrast settings in some way just pushing "system", "2" and turning the knob to the right brought the display back to life.

Thanks, guys!

Posted: 19 April 2012 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1892
Joined  2008-10-15
Umm...

Hope you did a sysex dump before you attempted changing the battery, anything in the user memories could well be lost over wise.

Think you've discovered a new category of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Let's call it "it ain't broke, it just needs some adjustment".

Glad you resolved it.
 Signature 

the Sonic Energy Authority