Roland Forums

Please help connecting condenser mic to Boss VE-20 vocal processor to mixer
Posted: 14 April 2012 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-04-14
Hi does anyone know how to connect a condenser mic to the Boss VE-20 vocal processor then how to connect this to a mixer?

I am trying to connect a Behringer C-3 condenser mic to the Boss VE-20 then to a Xenyx X1204 mixer to record via USB in Garageband.

When I connect the mic directly to the mixer with phantom power turned on on the mixer I can hear myself through the mixer's control room monitoring via head phones, but then when I try to connect the Boss VE-20 output to the mixer mic port I cannot hear myself through monitoring. For some reason without phantom power on on the VE-20 or mixer this did send some audio to Garageband but quite distorted.

I have tried putting on the phantom power setting on the VE-20 but it is still not working. When connecting a device requiring phantom power to a mixer would the phantom power setting on the mixer also need to be on?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Posted: 15 April 2012 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1993
Joined  2008-10-15
Can you check to see if the C-3 mic works with the VE-20 directly by plugging headphones into the VE-20?
That would confirm that part of the signal chain is ok.
If you do find the signal path is ok up to the VE-20 then I would strongly recommend turning off the phantom power on the Xenyx if you want to plug the VE-20 in to one of the desks mic channels.
That's the problem with desks that use global phantom power instead of one's that have it individually switched.
Some electronic equipment doesn't take too kindly to having 48V DC shoved up it's output sockets.
Would have that Boss would have expected there was a chance that phantom power could end up on the output sockets, and designed in some form of protection.

If you still can't get a signal out from the VE-20's XLR out, try using the phones/line out and use the line input socket instead of the XLR on the desk.
I would use an unbalanced screened lead, as the VE-20's TRS socket is set of a stereo output, and the TRS line in of the mixers channel is set to be used for a balanced audio connection. You might end up with strange weird audio phasing effects, and little actual vocal sound. (unless that's the effect you want?)
 Signature 

the Sonic Energy Authority

Posted: 16 April 2012 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-04-14
Thanks so much for your reply. I tried testing the signal path by plugging in headphones to the VE-20 and found I was audible (but barely) so turned up the VE-20 main volume from 40 to 70. Also forgot my mixer needs to gain really high to record in GarageBand. Got it working through the mic port on the mixer. Also found out one of my mic leads is a bit temperamental. Thanks again for your help... especially before I destroyed my VE-20 with phantom power.