Roland Forums

Midi USB Drivers for VA-5 and JV-50
Posted: 10 April 2012 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-04-10
I'm trying to find Midi USB drivers for the VA-5 and JV-50 but can't find them anywhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Phil

Posted: 11 April 2012 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  312
Joined  2010-12-09
MIDI doesn't need drivers - as far as I can tell both these devices just have MIDI connectors. If you are using a USB to MIDI device to connect to these Roland instruments then any drivers for that will be from whoever manufactered that USB device.

Posted: 11 April 2012 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-04-10
Thanks - I'm getting more and more confused.

I'm a newbie to Midi, so excuse the complete lack of knowledge.

I bought Propellerhead Reason Essentials and a Maplin Midi / USB connector to link either of these keyboards to my laptop with the idea of using one or other of the keyboards as a midi controller. BUT...... Reason can't "see" either of the keyboards.

Propellerhead support told me I need to find drivers for the keyboards, but Roland support tells me they don't exist and that I should just buy a Roland UMONE midi interface.

The UMONE looks identical to the Maplin connector I already have, so I'm loathe to buy something else that still may not work.

Help!!

Posted: 11 April 2012 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1893
Joined  2008-10-15
I've bought one of those Maplin USB-to-MIDI leads to try and run SoundDiver on a laptop..

It was virtually useless, and being Maplin, vastly overpriced, it's no different to the cheap and nasty ones available form a well know on-line auction site.

The Roland version 'may' be more robust, and stable.
If it was me, I would invest in a dedicated MIDI interface with multi-ports, that way you should be able to have both keyboards connected, and with the right software, independent control of them when playing back MIDI data.

I know nothing about Reason Essentials, I think it's purely software driven, by that I mean all it's sounds (synth, drums, effects) are generated by the computer. It can't send MIDI data out to control your keyboards.
It should be able to be controlled external from MIDI.

Perhaps Propellerhead assumed your keyboards where USB controller keyboards, hence thinking you need drivers..
 Signature 

the Sonic Energy Authority