Roland Forums

BOSS ME 25, POWER ON ISSUE
Posted: 29 March 2012 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-03-29
Hello musical people,

my boss me 25 was working fine until today when i plugged back the power supply (9V) and it doesn't start up. All i can visually see is, while I'm plugging in the power supply into the DC IN socket, the board lights up for a split second and once the plug is in completely, everything goes off. My adapter has a dual polarity thing and I've tried it the other way around as well (this ones got no response at all, so i assume the first one is the correct polarity). Its so frustrating especially now when I've had my dose of the herb and no medium for me squeeze out melodies!

Any suggestion? many thanks!

Posted: 30 March 2012 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2009-06-21
Is your guitar lead pugged in? as that operates thr on/off switch.
Also connecting reverse polarity to electronic devices generaly toasts them permanently.
 Signature 

long time BOSS/Roland equipment user. cheese

Posted: 03 April 2012 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-10-11
The short flash may indicate a failure of the power supply, a failure which may have saved you from the abovementioned toasting.

Disconnect the power supply and put batteries in. Plug in the input cable -- does it work now? If so, wipe the sweat off your forehead and replace the power supply.
 Signature 

Boss ME-25 amateur

Posted: 13 January 2014 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2014-01-13
Arrrg, If the unit flashes then dies, this is usually caused by excess voltage. You mentioned you reversed the polarity of your power supply! This means you are not using a boss mains adaptor. (Boss PSA series one) This immediately invalidates any warranty you may have. Cheap (unbalanced) power supplies are rubbish! I have measured 32 volts on one when it was set to 9 volts. These things can be extremely dangerous to both you and your equipment. Invest in the proper Boss adaptor. red face

Posted: 13 January 2014 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-10-11
C4VAN4 - 13 January 2014 04:53 PM
Invest in the proper Boss adaptor. red face

Well......
I did. And still do, although my average PSA lasts less than a year. I had a couple of them replaced (under warranty) but still it's a lot of hassle, and we're not talking about cheap units.
A noticably weak spot is the choke coil (the black block at the end of the cable) that is soldered with very thin wire to the print board, and although there's some glue applied the coil will break when it hits the floor a couple of times. Since this is not unlikely to occur when performing on stage I consider this a construction failure.
 Signature 

Boss ME-25 amateur