Roland Forums

Multiple singers/mics going through VE-20?
Posted: 17 January 2012 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-12-22
Hi this is my first post

As singer in a classic/contemporary rock covers band I use the VE-20 - mainly the hard rock preset 1. Played around with it a fair bit but that pre-set works well for my voice and our material. Our band is a 4 piece, other members sing backing vocals but I probably sing 90%-95% of our stuff. They've just asked if they can go through the VE-20 too.

I'm not very technically minded but not sure how this unit would handle different signal paths, or whether something like this affects mic calibration (the mic sensitivity - I use an SM-58 but not everyone does), or whether it would lead to a muddier sound. Would putting all mics through a preamp or mixer, then through the VE-20 lose clarity and quality of sound? . It'd be great them sounding better but I don't want to sound worse grin

Does anyone have any opinions or advice on this?

Posted: 17 January 2012 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  421
Joined  2009-06-21
You would loose the ability for the harmonist to track with more than one voice, tell them to get their own one and don't be so cheap.
Also the VE-20 runs at mic level, so a desk line level send would overdrive the VE-20 input.
 Signature 

long time BOSS/Roland equipment user. cheese

Posted: 17 January 2012 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-12-22
Thanks so much for replying, I hadn't thought about the harmony pedal but yes I can see how it would make that effect totally unusable. The point about mic level is really helpful too and completely passed me by. I hope there are going to be more posts on the VE-20 because it is a really clever piece of kit.

For interest here is what one of my band said when I explained the VE-20 wasn't really designed for multiple singers:

"Luckily I have a mic level preamp mixer I can put in front of your VE20. But I understand.. don't come asking to use my TC Helicon voicelive though.." !!!

Posted: 11 April 2012 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-12-22
Just to bump this - been using the VE-20 for a few months now, and my friend has his TC-Helicon. The VE-20 sounds great live and in rehearsal and I just use the factory preset setting number 1. It's subtle and enhances natural voice - you get more crunch and bite/growl. As for the TC-Helicon on the other hand, in my experience everything through it sounds a bit fake, I'd definitely stick with the VE-20.

‹‹ Boss Recorder      Roland s330 ››