Roland Forums

My D-50 has lost four voices
Posted: 22 August 2011 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-08-22
Hello all

My beloved D-50 has gone from being 8 voice (in dual mode) to 4 voice. Correspondingly it's also now only 8 voice in whole mode instead of 16.

Is this a software or hardware fault? And is it as simple as the repair for the Juno-106 (i.e. replace a voice chip) or is it more terminal than that do you think?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks!
Rob

Posted: 22 August 2011 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1987
Joined  2008-10-15
It's strange..
Not heard of a D-50 losing voices before.

Question:
Have you MIDI'ed up the D-50 recently?
If so, is the "local control" turned off?
 Signature 

the Sonic Energy Authority

Posted: 22 August 2011 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-08-22
Thanks for the reply.

Now this is strange! I didn't even switch it off or on again, I simply pressed the MIDI button to check on the 'local control' (incidentally it was set to 'on') as per your suggestion.

And suddenly the missing voices returned! How bizarre.

I have recently been using the D50v software programmer (finally I'm able to get to grips with programming the D-50) so maybe all the MIDI back n forth was messing something up somewhere. Seems strange that the problem was cured just by pressing the 'MIDI' button though.

Anyway problem solved (phew!) and thanks again.

Rob

Posted: 22 August 2011 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-08-22
OK scrap that - got nothing to do with the MIDI button!

It seems to be an issue with the software editor - once it's closed then everything's back to normal.

Posted: 22 August 2011 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1987
Joined  2008-10-15
Glad to hear it's back to normal..

It would appear the software editor (Chris Nightingale's?) has a MIDI thru function, and is echoing the MIDI data back to the D-50.

You can normally hear a "flamming" effect as it takes a few milliseconds to send and receive the MIDI note data where as the note plays instantly direct from the D-50.
 Signature 

the Sonic Energy Authority

Posted: 22 August 2011 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-08-22
I was actually using the demo version of this: http://www.vst-control.de/D50v.html which I was evaluating to see if I will buy the full version.

Found the MIDI thru toggle and tis all fine.

Just checked out Chris Nightingale's software though - like it! Think I'll give that a go. Great to be able to drag the envelopes around. Plus it appears to be free...

Cheers
Rob

Posted: 13 April 2012 07:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2010-05-12
Hi all,

With regard to the D50 Librarian echoing the incoming MIDI back to the D-50, yes it's a problem which someone spotted recently. It was never an issue for me because I was using a D-550!!! What is happening is MIDI channel data which is coming in is being fed back out - it should only be doing this if the incoming MIDI channel data is coming from the "Remote Keyboard" input.

It will be fixed in an up coming patch (1.0.17.0)

Thanks,

Chris