Roland Forums

1 of 2
OCtapad Spd-30 Usb-Midi Triggering thru. Computer
Posted: 29 April 2011 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-01-31
Hi!

I owned OCtapad Spd-30 and I want to trigger the On-board Sounds of OCtapad Spd-30 through Computer. So Please kindly tell me Software that I have to use in Computer and the Procedure of how to set Midi- Settings in Spd-30 and Computer's Daw Software. I don't have even a basic idea on this proCess. Thanks in advance.

Posted: 15 May 2011 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-05-12
Hello. First off i would like to say that i am as well a new user of the SPD-30 and have been looking for similar help. To assist with your question i'm going to have to say that i don't think u can play sounds in the SPD-30's sound bank into a DAW. However, via usb output u can use it to trigger sounds in software instruments. I myself am mainly a reason 5 user. This is where i'm having trouble. I've been able to have reason identify that there is a spd control surface plugged into the computer. But unlike either of my midi keyboards it will not auto map itself to play, for example, the redrum drum machine. So if ANYBODY out there has any advice how to manually map the spd-30 with reason 5. that would be super... and if i figure it out i'll post a follow up on how i did it. but until then sry for the long post that didn't really answer your question.

Posted: 03 September 2011 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-09-03
I would also really love to know how to use the Octapad (spd 30) as a midi controller. We are also using Reason 5, and are able to get Reason to recognize that the spd 30 is connected, but we haven't been able to make it control any sounds. Anyone who has gotten spd 30 to trigger midi (especially in the Propellerheads Reason software) pretty please tell us how you did it!

Posted: 17 November 2011 02:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-11-17
hey guy, so you got it recognized. thats good.

so in your spd, just make sure all your settings are right as in midi sync "usb" if thats what your using, drivers are all good, must be as its recognizing.
so, go to reason, pop open advanced midi. bus A is automatically set up. so just go with that.
now go to reason>pref>advanced and from Bus A select your SPD.
close that go back to reason

create a kong or whatever.

now in your roland go menu>system>midi>global channel.

just use global channel 1 for now.

back to reason. now in your advanced midi device you have Bus A selected>channel 1>kong (or whatever you created)

bang...good to go. and now that the building blocks are there in your routing. you got all the freedom in the world to do your thing.

Just get familiar or print out maps for note numbers etc, cause you'll most likely want to program your midi via

Menu>MIDI>Note# on the SPD-30

Cheers.

Posted: 17 November 2011 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-05-12
!!! you are my hero!!! working flawlessly smile

Posted: 05 December 2011 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2011-10-25
I can't understand this process. Tell me A to Z how i get this done.

Posted: 16 December 2011 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-01-22
Amalzz - 05 December 2011 01:51 PM

I just came across this post. Amalzz - let me know if you still need a walk-thru.

Posted: 16 December 2011 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-10-25
generdude - 16 December 2011 06:04 AM
Amalzz - 05 December 2011 01:51 PM

I just came across this post. Amalzz - let me know if you still need a walk-thru.

ya.. I dont know what is the way to add new midi tone to SPD 30. I have all the sound of SPD 20 in MIDI format. How I add this to spd 30?? I have USB Cable and SPD 30 Drivers.

Posted: 16 December 2011 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-01-22
OK, let's go one step at a time for now. First, are you using a Mac or PC?
Next, are you also using a MIDI keyboard? If you are, connect both instruments via USB to your computer.

Posted: 17 December 2011 02:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-10-25
I am using Windows, I haven't Keyboard. is it essential to use a MIDI Keyboard??

Posted: 17 December 2011 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-01-22
No, it's not essential to use a keyboard.
I'm a Mac user and I will just assume that the procedures are basically the same for Windows.
Open Reason. Go to Reason's Preferences to make sure your Octapad is recognized by looking under Keyboards and Control Surfaces. Your Octapad will have a green check mark next to it, right? Also, in Reason Preferences look at Audio and make sure Built-in Ouput is activated.
Everything OK up to here?

Posted: 17 December 2011 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-10-25
what is the "Reason" Is it reason 5 software???

Posted: 17 December 2011 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-01-22
Oh, yeah, that's only what I've been using. If you are using something different, then you need to find out how to connect. I guess I mixed you up with someone else who is using Reason. What DAW are you using?

Posted: 17 December 2011 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-01-22
paige - 03 September 2011 06:55 PM
I would also really love to know how to use the Octapad (spd 30) as a midi controller. We are also using Reason 5, and are able to get Reason to recognize that the spd 30 is connected, but we haven't been able to make it control any sounds. Anyone who has gotten spd 30 to trigger midi (especially in the Propellerheads Reason software) pretty please tell us how you did it!

Have you figured it out yet? If not, I can give you a step by step walk-thru.

Posted: 17 December 2011 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-10-25
Thanks for the help Brother. I never used any software in this case. Now i am downloading the Reason 5. After I connected Pad with Reason 5, will it allow to exchange the tone as i wish?? Sorry for the bad English

Posted: 17 December 2011 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-01-22
No, you cannot exchange the internal sounds into the SPD-30, which has it's own sounds. I think what you should do now is contact by phone Roland Customer Service and they will be able to answer your questions. First read the manual and then write down what is confusing you, then call them. I have found them to be very helpful.
Good luck!

1 of 2