Roland Forums

BR-800: anyone else having problems with USB data transfer with larger SD cards?
Posted: 12 July 2010 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-07-12
Manual instructs to check the www.roland.com website for compatible SD cards, but couldn't find any list there. I just bought an 8GB SDHC (Kingston, class 4) I ran into at a store.

The card seems to record and play back ok (tried 6 track playback with 2 track record; also 4 track simultaneous record; and 8 track playback, too...).

But: when activating Wave Converter or Backup mode when connected to computer via USB, computer hangs for a good while. Sometimes the drive letter appears, often not at all. Occassionally transfer completes -- mostly not.

I also tried this with a 4 GB SD card -- same effect.

The SD card that came with the unit seems to work ok! [EDIT: actually not ok, just a while ago it took minutes for Wave Converter to start because the BR-800 "USB drive" was frozen]

File access via USB works flawlessly in Linux -- so it's not a hardware issue.

[EDIT #2: The problem appears on both my desktop PC and laptop -- bot running Vista]

Maybe a problem with the BR-800 driver?

If the card wasn't compatible, wouldn't there be problems with record/playback?

Is the list of compatible cards available somewhere?

BTW, OS is Vista...

regards,
Mikko

Posted: 20 August 2010 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-08-20
I am having the exact same problem. I got a 16GB SDHC card. San Disk. Most of the time the computer won't even recognize that I have it connected. It makes the sound that new hardware is hooked up, but the icon does not appear in the "my computer" window. I have transfered data, but most recently it gets hung up at like 45%. I hope I don't lose this song I've been working on, it took me a lot of hours. If anyone has any solutions I would appreciate it.
Seems like it is getting worse, now I can't get the Wave converter to recognize the Br 800 as a drive. If I look for the drive on the My computer screen it comes up "not responding" The BR 800 screen will still say accessing and then idiling, but nothing is happening on my computer. This is frustrating. If I can't get the songs from the 800, why did I buy it?

-Ben

Posted: 25 August 2010 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2010-08-25
mikkov - 12 July 2010 04:17 PM
Manual instructs to check the www.roland.com website for compatible SD cards, but couldn't find any list there.

Is the list of compatible cards available somewhere?

SD card compatibility info is here:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/faq.cfm?PRODUCT=BR-800&iRcId=38508037&dsp=1

mikkov - 12 July 2010 04:17 PM
when activating Wave Converter or Backup mode when connected to computer via USB, computer hangs for a good while. Sometimes the drive letter appears, often not at all. Occassionally transfer completes -- mostly not.

Are you using the new BR Wave Converter 3.00 that's made for the BR-800, or the older BR Wave Converter 2.0 which was made for the BR-600 and others? BR Wave Converter 3.00 is available here:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?PRODUCT=BR-800

Signature 

64Guitars
Songcrafters.org

Posted: 25 August 2010 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-07-12
Thanks for the link to the list!

I tried Kingston 8GB SCHC (Class 4) card. Kingston was listed as "safe" brand in the list. As I mentioned earlier, the strange thing is that the problems arise when connecting BR-800 to computer, not when recording or playing back multiple tracks simultaneously. One would think that the latter would not work if there was problems with the throughput of the card.

I think the problem lies in the co-operation of the USB driver and the BR-800. Maybe the driver of MicroBR I had before BR-800 is somehow haunting there?

I think I installed the new version of Wave Converter. There is, unfortunately, no notion of version in the user interface, so I cannot check that out for sure now.

However, the version of Wave Converter does not matter here, because the problem arises before starting up the utility: BR-800 disk drive does not appear at all with the 8GB card. Having the BR-800 "disk" visible is a prerequisite for any version of WC, isn't it? Or if the disk appears, data transfer is very unreliable.

Can anybody confirm having a working setup with 32-bit Vista, BR-800 and a large SDHC card?

Posted: 25 August 2010 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-08-20
Actually if you just right click on the wave converter window while it's open and check out the properties it should show you. I was hoping that was my problem but I am definately using version 3. However, I should point out, I also used to use a Micro BR, so I am wondering if the drivers from that are causing a problem. I would have thought that San disk is the most popular card, so that is why I spent an extra 40 bucks buying the 16 GB of that brand. The last time I plugged in, windows suggested that some data on the disk installed was fragmented and wanted to fix it. At that point I was desperate and was hoping it didn't delete anything but I tried it and then I was able to get my entire song transfered. I haven't tried it since so I'll have to see if that helped permanently or not.

Posted: 30 August 2010 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-08-30
I have to say I'm somewhat relieved at what I'm reading - I thought I was the only one! I'm having exactly the same problem that everyone else on this thread is having. I was very pleased when I found out that the br-800 would support up to 32GB sdhc cards, as I often ran out of space on the br-600 and would lose song data trying to export and so on; so when I bought the recorder I just decided to go all out and buy a 32 GB card so I wouldn't have to worry about taking up space. 1 GB card that came with the recorder worked via USB no problem; put in the new memory card and formatted it, recorded a few songs, and USB connection is a disaster! Not only will my computer not recognise the recorder as a drive, my entire system freezes unless I disconnect the recorder manually. I'm normally quite good with computers, but this is impossible - something is seriously wrong with the drivers, or this wouldn't be happening. I mean, i pods nowadays go up to 160GB and thanks to good software file transfers are pretty quick despite the large memory size right? I'm calling Roland ASAP to get this sorted out cus its ridiculous. I just spent £350 on this thing, and I cant transfer files its unacceptable.

Posted: 05 September 2010 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-09-05
Hello, same problem here. I asked Roland before buying a SDHC card and got this answer :
Yes you can use every SDHC card under 32GB like you mentioned. The liste to which the manual references is a remain of the older BR-600 and BR-900Cd series where the right type of card was critical.

The BR800 recognize the card and works with but any connection with the computer doesn't work no more...

Well, well, well... Driver worry? (I deleted the driver and reinstalled again -the latest version- still doesn't work.

Thierry

Posted: 19 September 2010 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-08-31
Hello all,

Got the same problem with SDHC cards, and here follows a work-around that works perfeclty.

First of all, get in mind that the USB feature related to Wave Converter for the BR800 just acts as an external USB card reader. It is nothing else than that.
It means, that enabling this feature on the BR800 is quite the same as putting your SDHC card into an external card reader or on a build-in card reader onto your PC or laptop.

That said, it seems that the drivers of the BR-800 are not optimized for such behaviour... Access is very slow on SD cards and even impossible or quite messy on HDHC card. Those drivers suck. That's for sure...

So, the workaround? Quite easy...

1) Remove your card from the BR-800
2) Plug the card into an external or PC build in card reader.
3) Start wave converter to work with the drive associated with your card directly on your computer without ther BR800
4) Work with Wave Coverter as if you were working with your BR800 (import/export, ...)
5) When finished transferring, plug back your card onto the BR800 and have fun...

That's so easy... It is 10 times faster and absolutely 100% reliable... And no limits on the card size (considering the max size of the 32GB) Of course the card must be formatted uising the BR800 prior to using that trick.

Moreover, if you plan to create some songs, and give them names, tempo, etc... And dont want to use the BR800 interface for creating that, I have also some tricks to do it outside the BR800, working directly on the SD or SDHC card... Get back to me if you wanna know those little tricks...

Ok, that all folks. And let me know if it helps...

Regards,

Gaston

Posted: 19 September 2010 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-09-19
This is a good workaround.

Provided your card reader has SDHC support.

Which mine doesn't

oh well

Posted: 19 September 2010 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-09-05
Hello Gaston,

very good point, thank you !

As long as this driver is so bad (and well, softwares companions are not so good too), except the fact you have to jump always with cards, it works.

Thierry

Posted: 24 October 2010 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-07-12
Hello Gaston,

Good thinking, thanks!

regards,
Mikko

Posted: 11 November 2010 04:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-11-11
Has anyone found anything out about this issue ? I am about to get at least a 4 Gig card, and I don't like what I am reading here .... My PC does not have a SDHC reader, and I wouldn't want to take it in and out of the machine every time anyway. thanks

Posted: 15 November 2010 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-11-04
Thanx to Gaston!!! You`ve made my day.....\m/