Roland Forums

spd-s and sustain pedal
Posted: 29 September 2008 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-09-29
can anyone help me?

i need to find out if i can use a sustain pedal as kick trigger, i have a roland spd-6 and i can. i have a loan of a spd-s unit for my local music store and I cant set it up. on the manual it states that you can use a sustain pedal but does not say how to set it up

Please help

thanking you in advance
Brian

Posted: 16 October 2008 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Joined  2008-09-29
Hi and thanks for your reply, i have a bespeco sustain pedal and a boss FS-5U/-5L which i cant get working with the spd-s

thanks for any help
B

Posted: 28 October 2008 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2008-09-29
thank you i will give it a go, im away for a week so ill post a reply next week when i give it a go
thanks again for your help
regards
Brian

Posted: 28 October 2008 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1990
Joined  2008-10-15
My guess, and from what I can gather from reading the pdf manual, I would say no.
The trigger inputs are designed for actual pads, these will general a small voltage when hit, where as a footswitch will not.
The foot-switch inputs on the SDS have dedicated functions as already listed.

The SPD-6 foot-switch inputs are different as in they have been utilised specifically for kick trigger, and open/closed hi-hat functions.
 Signature 

the Sonic Energy Authority

Posted: 17 December 2008 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2008-09-29
hi all thanks again for your help, i think ill try some other spd unit, looking for one that i can use the sustain pedal as a kick

have a good christmas all
smile

Posted: 19 December 2008 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-12-19
Hello everyone,
I am trying to trigger a sound from the spd-s using a ddrum trigger pluggeg into the foot switch pedal input. But it does not seem to work, unless I am missing something.
Thanks for your help.

Posted: 19 December 2008 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
Into the foot switch inputs you say...

Try plugging the 'trigger' into the 'trigger' inputs.
The Foot switch inputs are designed for sustain type pedals, see message #3.

It is worth pointing out that you may need to get a TRS 1/4" (stereo) jack to 2 X jack sockets (with seperate left/right connections). This will allow you to access the 2 separate trigger inputs.
Perhaps you did try the correct socket, but it didn't work as perhaps you used a TRS lead and the SPD couldn't 'see' the correct connection.

To 'stickboywood' - I don't think any other SPD unit offers sustain pedal inputs, only the SPD-6 did.
You could get a kick pad, and kick pedal. This would give a better feel, and offer velocity sensitivity.
The SPD-6 would have a fixed kick value (I'm guessing @ 64).
 Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2008 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Joined  2008-12-19
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I already use the trigger input with a stereo ddrum trigger that sits on my snare drum. But I asked this question because I read on another forum that the SPD-S has actually 4 trigger inputs, 2 on the "trigger" input and another 2 that can be used on the "foot switch" input, but with no velocity control. This is what I am trying to do.

Posted: 20 December 2008 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
Then the information on the other forum is incorrect.
The foot switch inputs functions are listed in message 3.

If you are looking for extra inputs I think the only way would be to a trigger-to-MIDI interface. Something like the TMC-6. Even then I'm not sure it will be a seperate trigger source, I think it will only trigger a note assigned to a pad on the SPD-S.

The stereo trigger on the snare: Rim & head?
Could the rim sensor be sacrificed?
 Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2008 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Joined  2008-12-19
Well, I think loosing the rim is probably the best option then.
Thank you very much for your help with this.

Posted: 11 January 2009 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Joined  2008-09-29
S-E-A To 'stickboywood' - I don't think any other SPD unit offers sustain pedal inputs, only the SPD-6 did.
You could get a kick pad, and kick pedal. This would give a better feel, and offer velocity sensitivity.
The SPD-6 would have a fixed kick value (I'm guessing @ 64).

thanks for your response, sorry for not replying i was away doing some gigs. i use the sustain pedal as its tidy and small for my set up, i use it in a percussion set up. thanks again, if i find another way i will let you know for future reference, im hoping to get a pedal made that will be compact as a sustain pedal and work with other SPD units. have a nice weekend

B

Posted: 04 June 2009 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-06-04
Despite the impression given in this thread, a foot switch (or two) such as an FS-5U can be used in the footswitch input of an SPD-S to sound a sample (with set volume).

The foot switch ... can be used for producing a sound ... (SPD-S manual, Page 17)

Only Wave A can be assigned to the foot switch. (SPD-S manual, Page 34)

Volume variation cannot be activated with a foot switch. (SPD-S manual, Page 36)

Bruce

Posted: 04 June 2009 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
Well it took over 6 months but...

Bruce is on the money, the info doesn't 'leap of the page', but sure enough it appears you can use a footswitch after all.
My apologises if it has mislead anyone, it wasn't intentional.
 Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2010 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Rank
Joined  2008-09-29
hi and yes its been awhile, but i bought a roland spd-20 and it has the function to use the boss fs-5u as a kick drum but it does not state the settings you need to make it happen, i will be messing about with it and see how it goes will reply when i figure it out or when roland reply to my emails i sent asking for the settings, will post when i find them out

Posted: 26 September 2010 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-06-04
stickboywood - 26 September 2010 02:54 PM
hi and yes its been awhile, but i bought a roland spd-20 and it has the function to use the boss fs-5u as a kick drum but it does not state the settings you need to make it happen, i will be messing about with it and see how it goes will reply when i figure it out or when roland reply to my emails i sent asking for the settings, will post when i find them out

You have to use Trigger Input 1. See "Using a Footswitch Instead of a Kick Pedal" on Page 38 of the SPD-20 manual, which suggests how to set Trigger Sensitivity and Trigger Threshold (6-8) for that.

Bruce