Roland Forums

4 of 5
Gauging Interest: New D-50 Librarian / Editor
Posted: 09 January 2011 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-12-04
Hello Chris

I watched some SH-32 clips on youtube. I can imagine getting carried away twiddling knobs on this little machine very well grin. it seems to be capable not only of the abrasive 303 type of stuff but also of very rich filtered pad sounds.

Regarding the search function: I think even a rather basic algorithm for detecting similar patches could be very helpful when trying to get an overview over a large number of presets.

cheers
Daniel

Posted: 12 January 2011 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2010-05-12
Hi Daniel,

I have a version which now "kinda" works - it has a number of algorithms which you can pick from and you can tweak the settings which control how each parameter is processed (via MS Access only). I have also included some detail about how it calculates the match and how to tweak the settings in MS Access.

Trying it on my library it does produce some good matches but then again every so often it includes things which don't really make sence but that's because it's just looking at the number - not really analysing the sound with any specific rules.

Anyway, keep an eye out for it soon as I have a few other tweaks going into the new version.

Thanks,

Chris

Posted: 25 January 2011 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-12-04
Hello Chris

I just discovered that you have released the new version with the similar patches function and a had a quick trial run.
It works fairly well for me. As you mentioned some unrelated sounds slip in as well, but this is a great tool anyway grin I see that you even wrote a manual page about how to use the three algorithms and how to tweak them in detail via ms access. great!
One question: What do you do to get back to see the whole library after displaying similar patches? One way is to close and re-open the library window. Did I miss another one?

Thanks!
Daniel

Posted: 25 January 2011 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-12
Hi there Daniel,

Well glad the "similar patch" search worked reasonably!!! And yes I thought I better try and describe how the 3 algorithms work for anyone brave enough to tweak the numbers in the database!!

Oh to get back to seeing all patches, just click the Search button on the library. And if you have search criteria in the search text boxes it will search on those values.

Thanks,

Chris

Posted: 20 September 2011 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-09-20
There was a D-50 card for the V-Synth, that may be another possible source of interest.

Posted: 23 January 2012 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-08-03
Chris,

I've been using the librarian now for a while and it's very good, I haven't found any bugs or such yet. It's definately a very useful tool!!

The one thing you could maybe add to it would be a virtual joystick as found on the D50, as this is obviously missing on the D550. Not sure how easy that would be for you, but it would be a handy addition. Additionaly it would be good if it worked in real time, i.e be able to switch between the 4 parts of the patch whilst the sound was still sounding.

Cheers,
Stephen
 Signature 

http://soundcloud.com/stephen-lopkin

Posted: 16 February 2012 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-02-16
I went to the site to download this D50 editor as I was very interested. However, it seems that there is a virus attached that is detected in the download files. Does anyone have a "clean" copy?

Thanks,
Mark

Posted: 16 February 2012 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-12
stephenlopkin - 23 January 2012 02:10 PM
Chris,

The one thing you could maybe add to it would be a virtual joystick as found on the D50, as this is obviously missing on the D550. Not sure how easy that would be for you, but it would be a handy addition. Additionaly it would be good if it worked in real time, i.e be able to switch between the 4 parts of the patch whilst the sound was still sounding.

I guess if the D-50 and D-550 respond to control changes for this then it's possible. I think the tone balance can as I'm sure it's something that can be configured within the D-550 and linked to a particular control change value.

I add the suggestion to my set of suggestions.

I'm actually pretty close to another big-ish release but it needs a bit more testing.

Posted: 16 February 2012 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-12
Jammerman01 - 16 February 2012 02:31 PM
I went to the site to download this D50 editor as I was very interested. However, it seems that there is a virus attached that is detected in the download files. Does anyone have a "clean" copy?

Thanks,
Mark

I just did a double check of the download and AVG on my machine doesn't have a problem with the one without .Net in it (not tried the other one). What Anti-Virus are you running and does it give any details as to what it doesn't like?

Posted: 17 February 2012 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-02-16
Chris,

My apologies as the result is a little different than what I originally posted. Some background for you - I am in the USA and use the Norton Anti-virus software. I just tried again to download the same file you did. The result is that I can download it and then Norton analyzes it and believes it to be not trustworthy and wipes it clean. The message is a ws.reputation.1 file risk. What this means is that Norton identiies the file ss untrustworthy and therefore not safe based on its knowledge base. If the files are indeed safe, then I can have Norton bypass its screening of your files. This information may be helpful to others.

Mark

Posted: 08 March 2012 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-12
Jammerman01 - 17 February 2012 01:04 AM
Chris,

My apologies as the result is a little different than what I originally posted. Some background for you - I am in the USA and use the Norton Anti-virus software. I just tried again to download the same file you did. The result is that I can download it and then Norton analyzes it and believes it to be not trustworthy and wipes it clean. The message is a ws.reputation.1 file risk. What this means is that Norton identiies the file ss untrustworthy and therefore not safe based on its knowledge base. If the files are indeed safe, then I can have Norton bypass its screening of your files. This information may be helpful to others.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I guess that's it then - it's down to the level of trust because my installer doesn't have anything like that. I think Windows has a similar concept in that certain files cannot be opened until they are manually unblocked as it knows they came from the internet.

I don't have any other suggestions for getting them onto the machine because even if you were supplied with just the exe and the help file (which is pretty much all there is) then it would probably still complain about the exe.

I certainly haven't had any reports off anyone indicating there might be problems with the files so the files are obviously virus free it's just the trust thing that's getting in the way.

Posted: 08 May 2012 11:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-05-08
Definately interested in a D-50 patch editor/librarian as have programmed the exact Jarre Revolutions industrial loop and the pitch fall loop and want to save before the memory battery dies!

On a slightly related matter (D-50) does anyone know which other model's pitch bender assembly is a compatible replacement for the D-50? The D-50 one is hard to come by! (I can get D-20 or W-30 or Juno D bender units)

Would appreciate the help guys!

Cheers RT

BTW, What's the editor's download URL?

Posted: 09 May 2012 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-12
Hi there RT,

You can download the D50 Librarian from www.d50librarian.co.uk

Thanks,

Chris

Posted: 09 May 2012 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-05-08
Cheers, I'll take a look.

Posted: 05 February 2013 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]  
Rank
Joined  2013-01-31
The D50 Librarian is a library and real-time editor for the Roland D-50 and D-550 synthesizer that runs on the Microsoft Windows OS.It features a library which can be used to store all your patches in one convenient place.

Patches can be transferred easily between the D50 Librarian and the D-50 / D-550 via MIDI.

Patches can be editted in real-time via one or two real-time editors including a virtual version of the PG-1000.

4 of 5