Roland Forums

Juno stage
Posted: 22 February 2010 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-02-22
Hi. i recently bought a Juno Stage to use in a band, Guitar, bass and drums. we play mainly pubs so we are not too loud. i took the Stage to practise and i found there is hardly any volume. i am using a 300watt Trace Elliot bass set up at the moment and even with the amp turned to Max its not cutting through at all. is this the normal factory setting or am i missing something. my mate had a Korg i3 in the band before me and that was blasting. The Stage is advertised as a live performance keyboard but i cant use it as it is, really disappointed.

Posted: 22 February 2010 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1898
Joined  2008-10-15
HD12 - 22 February 2010 12:41 PM
Hi. i recently bought a Juno Stage to use in a band, Guitar, bass and drums. we play mainly pubs so we are not too loud.

Yer right, pub band that doesn't play loud. That would be a first.

i took the Stage to practise and i found there is hardly any volume. i am using a 300watt Trace Elliot bass set up at the moment and even with the amp turned to Max its not cutting through at all.

Sounds like a lead issue possibly.
What was the input gain like on the amp?
I assume the volume control was set fairly high on the Juno..
The band I work with has 2 beat-up Korg M1's, I tried to introduce a Korg X3, this is noticeably quieter than the M1's, not so much that you need it turned to max on the amp.

is this the normal factory setting or am i missing something. my mate had a Korg i3 in the band before me and that was blasting.

I was unable to find an actual manual for the i3, it's not listed on the Korg web site, and when I tried to download I got a service manual (so I know how to take one apart - but not necessary how to put together again).
Was trying to find if it had a hotter signal level out than the norm.
The Stage is advertised as a live performance keyboard but i cant use it as it is, really disappointed.

I think I need a little more info, can I assume you used a standard jack to jack cable (screened I hope) coming out of the mono/L jack socket of the Juno.
Have you tried headphones on the Juno, is it still quiet?

At a push, perhaps you could use the headphone out, you would need a stereo jack to mono jack conversion lead, and you might get some phasing effects. However the signal level will be much 'hotter'. The thing is you should need such drastic remedies, it should be fine on the main jack outs. As you said, it's called 'live' for a reason.
 Signature 

the Sonic Energy Authority

Posted: 22 February 2010 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-02-22
Thanks for the reply. yeah i guess we are a little too loud sometimes.smile. i emailed Roland and had this reply.
Hi.

Thank you for your email.

First please make sure you are running in stereo where possible.

In the system settings you can set the output gain to +12db if needed.

You can also use the MFX and assign EQ/Compression - what ever needed to get the sound to cut through the mix.

There are many variables with live mixing - but with the amount of compression, EX, Enhancers available on the Juno Stage I am sure you will get that good mix.

I hope this helps.
I tried going into system settings and i did alter something that made it louder through headphones. going to have to wait untill a practise to see if it made any difference.

Posted: 22 February 2010 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
It sounds as if you've changed the output level setting Roland mention in their email.
An extra 12dB should certainly help.
There also appears to be 'master level' setting too. So worth checking that too.

If the level has increased in the headphones, I hope it's boosted it on the main outs too.
It's a first for me on such a parameter. None of my Roland stuff has a output level control other than the volume control.

Running stereo would be nice, but you've only got one amp.
Hopefully what you've done will resolve your problem, and you shouldn't have to start playing with the MFX for compression and eq.
The reason I say that is, I think you would have edit each patch, and then save it. Quite long winded.
 Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2010 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-02-22
Thanks, any idea where i would find the master setting?

Posted: 22 February 2010 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
It's in the system settings menu.
From the PATCH PLAY, PERFORM PLAY, or PART MIXER
screen, press EDIT [MENU].
Use the VALUE dial or [INC] [DEC] to select “2.
System,” and press [ENTER].
Press F3 (sound)
You (hopefully) will see options for master level, and output gain.
Select the option you want, and use the data wheel, or INC DEC to change it.

You will need to save your settings with a 'system write'. F6
 Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2010 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-02-22
Thanks for that.

Posted: 25 February 2010 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-02-22
Well i found that you cant push it to 12db, after 8 or so you get distortion.

Posted: 25 February 2010 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
It's it overloading the headphone output, or just the main outs?
It might be overloading the 'bass amp' inputs, as these are expecting a level of signal form a guitar, not line level from a synth.

I ask this quite often, I usually know the reply, but I ask anyway..
Where about's are to based (expecting somewhere not exactly local to me)?
 Signature 

Posted: 25 February 2010 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-02-22
That's just through headphones. not tried it at a band practise yet. i'm in North Wales. UK. I have no idea where people are based on here. i will have stick something in my profile, thanks.

Posted: 25 February 2010 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
Ok.

See if it does the same at a practice. I suspect it will, be it would be nice to see (or should that be hear) if there is a difference.

As I thought.. Not really down the road, so I can't pop over to have a look.
 Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2010 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-04-14
Acually I can relate to this, Ive just traded in a fantom f76 for the juno stage 128 and when i took it home to play, The volume knob went all the way up, this was just plugging it in to the same setup as I had the fantom, (home practice room ) Ive since been playing around and managed to boost the output to +12db and it seems to be better, had a gig in partick on saturday night first live since the purchase and it seemed fine on stage (with a little work), although Im still a bit unsure about the default values etc.

Im sure it will take a little work to get used to it and as a keyboard player in a covers band I have a huge task ahead of me settign up sounds for every different song, oh the joys.. maybe we should invent a website that you input your keyboard make and model, the song your covering and it automatically creates the patches for you !! how good would that be. :@) BTW first post on forum already found it usefull..

steve
 Signature 

Currently in a function band called
“ Nae Danger”
Keys = Korg Triton Le
Roland Juno Stage 128
Amp = Peavey KBA300
Behringer eurorack mixer
Mac book pro, logic studio pro.
M-Audio fastrak ultra 8 R
Roland v drums with td3 module
loads of guitars and a trumpet Toot Toot.

Posted: 14 April 2010 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
Welcome Steve.

I think once you've got to grips with the new addition you will be fine and dandy.
Once you've got a major patches sorted, pianos, organs, strings, etc I doubt anyone will be too bothered in the audience.
I don't think anyone will come up at the end of the night and say you used the wrong sound on that song you did.

Now here's a thing..
Via Google: 'nae danger - a phrse commonly used by scottish people. meaning not a chance'
I work with a local band called Fat Chantz.
What are the chances of that?
Think I found your website too..
 Signature 

‹‹ Juno G help please.      Vista 64 bit drivers ››