Thanks for all your help.

Official site

http://www.oktava-online.com/mk219.htm

Posted: 03 March 2010 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1820
Joined  2008-10-15
Well, what a strange one.

Looking at the block diagram, it would appear the RCA outs are connected in parallel to the main outs, so the main fader will have an effect on those too (normally on big desks for live use, they are independent).
So you might as well use your a typical RCA-to-RCA phono leads.
The 'Rec' out goes to the soundcards RCA input.
The out of the soundcard can go to the 2 trk return if required.
WARNING! DANGER! DANGER! (Will Robertson)
Be careful with the 2 TRK return to main switch. If that's turned on, you might get a possible feedback loop as the signal goes out from the mixer, into the soundcard, back from the soundcard to the 2trk return, but that is then routed back to the desk out. Trust me, you'll only do it once..

The control room outs you can send to your amp (hi-fi) to monitor. The signal is a copy of what is in the headphones. Again, plugging headphones it might disable the control room out sockets, but the block diagram tells me it's not the case with your mixer.

If you press the 2trk return to ctrl rm it will send the soundcard out to headphone / to the speakers. It overrides the mixer out.

I can confirm your microphone (not an AKG after all) will require 'phantom power'. Normally I recommend that this is turned off, but your microphone requires it, so turn it on.

Now I really do hope that you've not used the images of the mixer as your normal settings.
Please set your Eq controls to the central position, not as the picture shows all on -15.
Likewise with the pan / bal controls.

As the mixer has no 'PFL' or 'solo' buttons, setting levels will have to be done by ear.
The microphone channels do have a 'peak' LED. set the gain (trim) control so that this LED only lights on the loudest signals.
If you are not using the microphone, remember to turn down the level control to -00(infinite), otherwise any noise in the room will be recorded direct into your soundcard! Shame there's no mute button.

The Juno can happily use one of the stereo channels.

Output levels:
You may have to be a little wary of your levels. If you set them so that the +6 LED flashes occasional, you should be fine.
If you find when you record to the soundcard the signal is overloaded, you will have to take it back to the 0 LED.
Please don't have DJ mentality, and aim to light the peak LED's (because they are there / I've paid for them & I want them lit).

I think that just about covers it..
If there is anything you are unhappy about, or need addition information on, feel free to ask.

Pp / SEA
 Signature 

the Sonic Energy Authority

Posted: 03 March 2010 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2010-02-20
Thank you very much. I really cannot thank you enough.

I've had the mixer for years now, but haven't used it that much, so the "settings" in the image should be disregarded. I will go and put those into practice and report back.

Dunno why I keep calling it an AKG mic when it is not lol.

PS
Man, you even understand block diagrams too? Awesome. They make no sense to me when I look at them lol.

Posted: 05 March 2010 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-20
Okay, I am going mad again.

I am trying to play drum samples from third party - sample cd - using the Juno G but it wont.

I copied all the drum files [wav format] into the SMPL folder but it won't show up. Perhaps I am doing what the Juno cannot do?

Is it possible to load drum samples in wav format into the memory of the Juno and assign them to a pad which can be used to trigger them?

The odd thing is that I samples a vinly and I was able to store it on the same folder and it showed up in the Juno. ??? I have checked the manuals on Sample - loading and what not, but nothing is solving my problem.

Any help is appreciated please.

Posted: 05 March 2010 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-20
Oh I got it now. It was in a wrong folder extension. It should have been in the AUDIO IMPORT folder and not the SMPL.

Posted: 08 March 2010 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2009-06-04
ElRazur - 22 February 2010 12:28 AM
Lol thought you own one. Nice to see you have interest and helping out though.

Since we are at it, you wont know how to make the sound or patches "phat" i.e the synths, bass, drums etc packing a punch and feeling powerful please? When am making a song or track that is.

Sorry if soneone else got to this, but the key to getting fat (phat?) sounds on your Juno G is through the Effects button.
When you play back sounds in Patch mode... they sound awesome because they have one effect (MFX) applied to them plus the global Chorus/delay and reverb.
The Juno G has 3 MFX effects "units" available to share across all 16 track, plus a global chorus/delay and reverb.

If you want to fatten up synth and bass sounds, then go to the track and click the effects button (to the left of the screen in the edit section of buttons). In here you can either set up a new effect, or set the MFX parameters to copy the ones used on the patch preset (good idea for searing cosm because setting up the overdrive / amp simulator to get an exact match is hard!). There's stuff in the manual on how to do this in detail, and some good stuff out on google too. I'm a drummer and I worked it out so surely anyone can! I won't go on about it because you've probably sorted it out by now... but if not, just give me a prod on here and I'll find some meaningful links on the interweb smile

In general, fatten up the synth sounds with compression and chorus, and beef up distortion guitar sounds (which sound terrible without effects) using the amp simulator effect.

Again - if you know all of this then sorry for chiming in.... I got my Juno G a few months ago and it's a superb piece of kit for the money.... I use it instead of my old Korg Triton now and would only look to replace it with a fantom G or something in a year or two.

Have fun...
 Signature 

Kit:
.:.Roland TD12 VDrums
.:.Roland SPD-S
.:.Pearl Export acoustic drums + Sabian cymbals
.:.Roland Juno G (Orchestral SRX board + RAM upgrade)
.:.Roland Fantom G8
.:.Korg Triton Pro
.:.Mackie Onyx 820i
.:.MOTU Microlite
.:.Cubase 6 (for home)
.:.Cubase Le & Akai LPK25 (when working away from home)

“All the gear, no idea!”

Posted: 09 March 2010 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-20
Hey thanks for your input. It is very useful.

As it stand, I mainly use the Reverb, chorus and resonate found in the "PART MIXER" section. While it can sound good when applied correctly, I am still trying to get my head round the "block type diagram" that lays out all the effects [the bit where one have the mfx, a, b etc all in a diagram fashion]

This is my first workstation and man, it is a lot to take in. lol.

Have you used the Editor software? Man, that is some unfriendly user interface lol. I am trying to create a new rhythm patch but gosh it is driving me crazy.

Posted: 09 March 2010 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-04
Yeah... the Editor looks quite shiny at first but takes some practice to get into...Just grateful thatI work in IT!
I'm lucky I guess: I had a Korg triton and the effects routing thing works in a similar way..
The "block diagram" thing is really worth getting to know.... It's THE key to what makes the Juno truly sound like it awesome big brother, the Fantom X.

I suspect that there are quite a few postings on this forum about using the multi effects as it's one of the most daunting things - until you get it, then it seems simple! So do have a hunt on this forum.

Anyway, print this off or take your laptop to your juno and have a go now - go on !:

I don't have my Juno in front of me (in a hotel room in London!), but here's how it goes (from memory) if you want to add effects to your song tracks to beef them up:

1> Select the track in your song that you want to apply the effect to by moving the cursor to it.
2> Hit the Effects button to the left of the screen
3> Sigh at the highly geeky layout of the flow diagram, then take a deep breath...
4> On the left hand side, the Part (track) you selected will be highlighted in a box.
5> move the cursor down (with the arrow keys) to the space below where it says "OUTPUT"...
6> use the dial to change the selection from A, B etc until it reads MFX
7> Move the cursor down again to the box below with the arrow keys and select the MFX channel with the dial (one of 3) to the you want to use - start with MFX 1.

[[[ You've now just plugged in an Effects Processor to your Song! Hurrah! ]]]

8> By default, there is no actual effect assigned to an MFX - it's empty (set to THRU) , so we now need to set one up.
9> Hit the MFX button (highlighted at the bottom of the screen like a tab).
10> you then see a screen with the button tabs at the bottom: MFX1, MFX2, MFX3
11> Select the MFX1 button (if you chose MFX1 in step 7).
12> it will say "THRU" because we haven't assigned anything yet

[[[ NOW COMES THE MAGIC ]]]]

13> use the wheel to scroll through the available effects (or hit the enter button on the right near the wheel to bring them up as a list).
14> Scroll through all the effects to something like Flanger (select it from the list and press enter if you've used the list approach).
15> Your sounds should now have the default "flanger" settings, and you should see the Flanger parameters page. Hold a few chords to hear the effect... then smile!

[[[ You now have an MFX set up on one of your tracks! ]]]

16> You'll see all the parameters for the flanger on the the screen and you can use the cursor keys & wheel to move down and change the values.
17> Better still... at the bottom of the screen the 4 knobs (on the right of the keyboard) are assigned to the main parameters of each effect, so give them a twirl to see what happens whilst playing a chord!
18> Play with the parameters and listen to your sound getting funkier by the second!
19> Hit the Song button to go back to your original song tracks.
20> You're done!

This is how you edit all effects, so when you're done hit the song button, pick another track, and hit the effect button, and repeat the process for another track, but try using a different effect (MFX2 for example) from step 7 onwards.

Top effects that I use most are:
- Guitar Amp Simulator
- Phaser
- Flanger
- Equalizer

Just as an aside,
The lines on the block diagram represent how much of the audio signal goes through each stage - so how much goes to through the MFX program, and how much goes straight (as clean signal) to the chorus / reverb and then on to your stereo outputs. The maximum value is 127, and the min is 0 for all of these "lines". So if you don't wan't your effect to have any reverb, set the value on the line between the effect and the Reverb box to zero.... It's just like a big network of pipes with water in flowing from left to right. If you don't want water down one pipe, then set it to zero. It's just the sound instead of water. If you want only a little bit of chorus, then set that that part of the "pipline" to something like 30 rather than 100.

Have a play (and some coffee) and I promise it will click after a few mins...

Once you get the hang of it, you can change the "structure" of how the effects are played, so rather than having 3 effects working in isolation, you can daisy-chain them together in different combinations.

Check out page 127 of the User manual if some (or all!) of this makes no sense at first.
The screen shot on 127 is the block diagram we start with, and the MFX configuration (mentioned in step 9) is on page 129 so hopefully the instructions will make more sense with the pictures!

Are you still awake ? Sorry - went rambling on there...
And I know.. 20 steps to use effects on my keyboard seems insane... but play for a while - it's worth it!
To show you why.. have a listen to this:

http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collaborate/home.project?projectId=15208

All the sounds are from the Juno G (although it might not be to your taste). Even the drums are the Juno Standard Kit 2 with an equalizer MFX to beef them up (played them using my Vdrums as a trigger)...

Hope that helps - some how!

Cheers,

Craig
 Signature 

Kit:

“All the gear, no idea!”

Posted: 09 March 2010 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-20
OMG. Thank you man. I have this printed and will give it a try. Thank you for taking time out to explain and do this.

I love the track in the link you posted. The sounds are exactly what am after! I love the guitar solo. By the way, you gotta tell me all the sounds you used man on that track. I really love them! The Guitar comes across as punchy and very phat. Cool.

I am watching Arsenal do damage to Porto at the moment, so I will have a go at those explanations and post back my findings. Thanks.

Posted: 09 March 2010 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-04
Hey no probs!
Good luck (with the Juno and the footy!)

All those guitar sounds come from searing cosm (harmonic bridge bit) and Touch Drive (for the chugging and rhythm bits in the main riff)...
To get those sounds I had MFX1 and 2 set up as Guitar Amp Simulators... with different amp types and speaker stack types (yeah - it's that cool!).
Seriously, through 'phones it will make your ears bleed!

If you're still having trauma by the weekend, drop me a line on here, and I'll put up an empty SEQ file somewhere on the web so you can download it and transfer it to the Juno. You can just load it as a song then. I'll cut out the music data, but all the tracks will be setup with the effects in place etc. I'd do it sooner but don't get home until Friday night.

Have fun!

Craig
 Signature 

Kit:

“All the gear, no idea!”

Posted: 09 March 2010 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1820
Joined  2008-10-15
I had I listen too..

rather liked it, it didn't sound like a keyboard generated track.

It's also clear that you've got to grips with the Juno-G, and best of all are willing to share your knowledge.
Nice one Craig.

You might have to change your tag line..
"All the gear, some idea"
 Signature 

the Sonic Energy Authority

Posted: 09 March 2010 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-04
Hi S-E-A,

Thanks for the feedback - it's very much appreciated!
I think that track sounds less keyboardy because I made the decision not to quantize the guitar and drum tracks.

I've had the Juno for about 9-10 months now, and I've got much further with it than I ever did with the Korg Triton. That says more about me than the Triton by the way!

Since I recorded the track, I've upgraded my Vdrum brain to the TD12 and the combination of the TD12 and Juno is rocking my world! Just upgraded the firmware on the TD12 (thanks Roland!) and now it's a TD20 in a TD12 case! How cool is that?? All those extras like mic position per drum, tambourine on the hi-hats, beater type on the kick - I have them all now!

Anyway....I digress..... there's a load of info on these forums and it's been really useful to me in the past few months, so if I can contribute and help someone else then that's just good musician karma !

Now... if only I could read music and play the keyboard properly...... smile
(hence "all the gear....")
 Signature 

Kit:

“All the gear, no idea!”

Posted: 13 March 2010 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-20
Hey man, Thank you. I finally gave it a try. OMG! The world of so many possibilities. You are right, it is probably not as hard as it looks from the diagram. There is like 78 effects. Gosh I love it.

Now let me set creativity fire on some tracks. By the way, what will you recommend for drums? At the moment, I am using the 01 Equaliser and turning up a little the low gain and high gain.

Posted: 14 March 2010 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-04
Hey again!
Firstly - I'm super-chuffed that you had a go and it worked for you! The Juno is an awesome piece of kit once you unleash the effects.

I'm with you on the drums... I used the Standard Kit 2 most of the time (sound thin), then use EQ in the same way that you have. I also then use that MFX for the bass too if I really want to belt it out.

Some kits like the machine kit (I think?) and limiter don't really need effects on them because they're beefy enough. I think the Rock kit is a bit pants, but may sound better through a compressor?

I'm using my VDrums TD12 now for all my drum parts (except if I'm doing dance or industrial type stuff) so fortunately I haven't had to worry myself with getting good drum sounds from the Juno.
ALSO... Remember if you've patched your Juno to V2.0, you can download drum samples and hits from the web (loads of free ones out there) and assign them to the big buttons under the screen, and then use them in the sequencer.

Oh oh oh ! I nearly forgot.. if you want a section of your song to have a super industrial sound, try running one of the the electric kits (limiter / machine) through the guitar amp simulator or Distortion /Overdrive MFX for the dirtiest grunge drum break in the world!! smile

Thanks for letting me know that it worked for you - it's made my weekend!

Cheers,

Craig
 Signature 

Kit:

“All the gear, no idea!”

Posted: 14 March 2010 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-20
Hey slow down man. Did you mention free drum kits? Please point me where lol. Yeah I updated to the version 2.0 the instant it came out of the box. Having said that, the sampler can be a pain to use - I guess once I find my way round it, it should be second nature.

A link to the free drum kits will be nice please. smile

One issue that is driving me nuts is how to create a rhythm patch using the Editor. I have gone as far as seeing my samples in the editor itself. However, since it is not that user friendly, I am not so sure how to assgin these wav samples to the keys - Just like you have on say Standard drum kit et al.

If you have an idea, please I can do with some help here.

By the way, I contacted roland and waiting for them to get back to me. smile

3 of 4

‹‹ BOSS GT-10 and Roland GR-33      Juno stage ››