Roland Forums

1 of 4
Juno G help please.
Posted: 20 February 2010 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2010-02-20
I just got myself a Juno G and man, that is one of the best purchase I ever made. Just a few issues though, the manual can be over-whelming for a newbie in the world of synths. I just wish there is a better or simplified manual.

The other issue I have is that when recording i.e move from [Performance] to [Song] and the preloaded patches comes up. For example, if one of the patches is a piano and I recorded a melody on it, and the next midi patch is a tambourine. This 2nd midi track tend to plays along side with the first one [i.e piano melody]! Is there any way, to stop this i.e midi tracks playing over each other instead individually.

Also, I have heard of people talking about a Juno G Dvd tutorial. How and where can I get this please.

Finally, is there any free patches too? Thanks.

Posted: 21 February 2010 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1812
Joined  2008-10-15
Welcome.. Sounds like you are having fun.

There is a 'TurboStart' pdf, if that's any help:
http://www.roland.co.uk/assets/media/pdf/JUNOGts.pdf

A nice little guide book too:
http://www.roland.co.uk/assets/media/pdf/JGWS01.pdf

I've no idea if they came with the Juno G or not, but at least they are there if you need them.

I don't quite understand the next issue you have:
You record a melody... you then record an additional track, but you don't want playing together?

Regarding the DVD tutorial, is it this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Roland-Juno-G-Video-Training-Tutorial/dp/B000OYCORO

I don't know of any 'free' patches, but there may be some out and about.
 Signature 

the Sonic Energy Authority

Posted: 21 February 2010 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-20
Thanks. Will be placing an order for the DVD.

My issue I have is this, let me re-explain in plain english lol.

It appears the midi tracks are somehow "overlayered" on the keyboard. For example, when I record a piano melody track and then move to the second midi track to play and record a new patch, say a brass, the brass sound appears to be layered over the piano! So I can't get a clear sound for the Brass without the piano playing on what is supposed to be a midi track just for the Brass. I hope that makes sense.

Posted: 21 February 2010 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-20
I have it sorted now. That will teach me to read the manual and not rely on Youtube tutorials lol.

Posted: 21 February 2010 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
Glad you've got it resolved...

Care to share, or is it a case of 'operator error'?

At least you can enjoy your purchase a little more now.
 Signature 

Posted: 21 February 2010 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-20
S-E-A - 21 February 2010 02:32 PM
Glad you've got it resolved...

Care to share, or is it a case of 'operator error'?

At least you can enjoy your purchase a little more now.

It was a case of "an illegal operation have been performed" lol. Watch this video here and in the first few minutes the dude made mention on how to start recording a track, it is actually wrong as one need to get into a different screen to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv5SWftlXcU

The correct sequence is in the manual and not what he said lol.

I am playing with the Juno and my god, how awesome it is! This is 2010 and it is still awesome, it must have been mind blowing in 2007 or so when it was made.

Posted: 21 February 2010 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
Well as long as the manual got it right.
Perhaps his was a version 1 Juno G, and you've a version 2?

There's more Juno G related info at the Roland Clan's forum:
http://forums.rolandclan.com/?action=show_all&fid=30
 Signature 

Posted: 21 February 2010 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-20
Well to be honest, I had a version 1.06 or so on it before it was updated.

How are you finding the sampling capabilities? I am yet to use mine. Look for something interesting to sample with.

Thanks for the link, I am on it.

Posted: 22 February 2010 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
I don't actually own one.
I don't own much of Roland's current tech. The TD-20 would be the closest.

I just try and point people in the right direction, read manuals for answers, and general dig around on the web to try and find the answers they are looking for.
 Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2010 12:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-20
Lol thought you own one. Nice to see you have interest and helping out though.

Since we are at it, you wont know how to make the sound or patches "phat" i.e the synths, bass, drums etc packing a punch and feeling powerful please? When am making a song or track that is.

Posted: 22 February 2010 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
Tricky to answer..

It's like when descriptions mention a 'warm sound'.
I've yet to find a 'warm' button on any mixer, amp, processor, or synth.
About the only place you will find it is on a car heater control, or perhaps on your house's radiators.

A phat synth sound tends to be rich in harmonics, little filtering. It may well have more than one tone assigned to the patch, just detuned slightly to fill out the sound.
Phat bass and drums would be working in the low frequencies. Compression is often used on them to make them more in your face - downside you lose dynamics, and can make things sound flat.
The problem with having a nice deep full bass sound, and then adding drums with similar properties, they tend to mush together, and fight each other. Sometimes known as masking.
Try to make a hole in the mix for certain instruments, if you want a deep bass sound, cut some of the bass from the drums.

I wish there was a magic answer, I would be using it too..
 Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2010 01:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-20
Thanks, that was helpful. Another one that baffles me is the West Coast Whistle or whine that you hear on a west coast hiphop record, how do one do that? I have listened to a few just to identify the type of synth sound and I think it may be a sine sound of some kind. Only thing is that I do not know how to modify a sound on the Juno to achieve that. Any pointers please?

Posted: 22 February 2010 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
Any examples of the 'W C W'I can refer too?
I'm not really into the hippity hopptiy stuff..
 Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2010 01:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-20
LOl. Don't say hippity hopptiy lol makes you sound like you are soo old lol.

Yeah check this video here if you don't mind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bndqlP2FzFA

Go to the 14mins mark and the whistle was described there. Thanks

Posted: 22 February 2010 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15
Would 45 be considered so old?

Watched the video, quite interesting actually. If I need to do a similar track I shall bear it in mind.
Also interesting to see Fruity Loops in action.

I've now heard the 'W C W', it to me sounds as a fairly simple lead sound. From the KVR forum discusing the W C W:
The original sounds were indeed made with a minimoog. Dr. Dre used that extensively in the early 90s. he then switched over to a Nord Lead in later years (chronic '01) Really any mono synth can get you close. Use a Saw wave or triangle/saw combo for a slightly smoother sounding whine. add some gentle low pass filtering and a touch of reso. Then turn on your portamento to make it glide.

Here's a few pointers from me, I used my 2080.
Have a location in the user memory to store all your hard work.
Refer to P30 of the Juno G manual 'Creating a patch'.

I looked for a patch that sounded close to what the W C W sounds like. I found a minimoogy type of lead sound. Now you could save that into your user location here and now. Then go to that location and edit (tweaking) the patch to get close to your needs. You may want to turn off the memory protect feature.

I killed one of the tones off, as it didn't seem to be adding that much to the patch.
This left me with 2 tones. I switched one of the tones waveforms to a 'sin' wave. The other remained a 'saw' wave.
You will want to use a 'type 1' structure. Nothing fancy.
Both TVF, and TFA envelopes can be set much the same. Quick attack time. Fairly high sustain level, release time to suit your needs (fairly quick to my ears).
You can use the TVF cut-off frequency to adjust the 'brightness' of the patch. Use a LPF filter.

Now onto the things which make it sound like the W C W:
Common control - It wants to be a solo/mono sound (no poly), so turn that on.
I turned the Legato switch to off, but if you think it sounds better with it on, so be it.
The portamento needs to be on, mode - normal, type - time, time set to your taste (but not too high).
While here, set the pitch bend range to +/- 2 semitones. You can set it to an octave if you like (12 semitones)

You can add effects if you wish. I would keep it simple however. Delay might work nicely, if you've a spare MFX.

Don't forget to store your patch now and again.
 Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2010 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-20
Man! You are the best. Thank you, thank you and thank you again for taking time out to explain it to me. I will be reporting back with my findings. Thank you very much. smile

I dunno if this is allowed, but the NFX dude runs a lot of tutorials on other music genre and what not at his forum. But it is mainly focused on FL. I wish there is one for Juno.

PS
Nah 45 is good man.

1 of 4

‹‹ BOSS GT-10 and Roland GR-33      Juno stage ››