Roland Forums

BOSS GT-10 and Roland GR-33
Posted: 20 February 2010 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-02-20
Hi guys

was hoping someone could help me figure out what leads go where..

basically, id like to be able to play my guitar using the boss gt-10, and then switch to only the GR-33 sounds, an then blend the two. I have a Godin Freeway SA. (which has a three way toggle, namely.. guitar ONLY, guitar and synth blend, an synth only)..I havnt got a clue which leads go from which to which etc..

Also (sorry to be a nuisance).. how do i connect the GR-33 to my PC, so i can record etc? I have Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 and Cubase.. but I dont know how to set it all up :( I use something similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-UX-16-USB-MIDI-cable/dp/B000I1Q58W

So i can use Grapelight (GR-33 Editor for patches etc).. an Sonar recognises it as USB Audio, but it wont record :(

Sorry this is all very longwinded.. any help would be super!

Dave

Posted: 22 February 2010 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  445
Joined  2009-06-21
You have a few connection options there, and what sort of recording you want also depends on the hookup of it all.
If you want to record the GR-33 actual sounds, or just the midi notes (i think the 33 can do just midi note output).
First connect the GR-33 guitar out to the GT-10 input, this will supply the GT-10 with a guitar only signal. The GR-33 output can then be plugged into the GT-10 S/R loop Return, and the S/R effect placed near the end of the GT-10 signal chain, and the Return signal can be switched with the use of the GT-10 assigns, so a CTL or EXP pedal can control the guitar/synth mix. The use of the GT-10 USB cable will allow recording of both the GR-33 and GT-10 audio.
You may want to connect the GT-10 midi-out to the GR-33 midi-in, to have the GR-33 change patches with the GT-10.
You might want to record only the GR-33 midi note data, and use an external or software tone module for your sounds instead of the built-in GR-33 ones (pending if the GR-33 has this function, the GR-20 does).
For recording just the midi note data, you would connect the GR-33 midi-out to a midi device adapter midi-in, and select that device as the recording source.
 Signature 

long time BOSS/Roland equipment user. cheese

Posted: 21 July 2011 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-06-30
pspdave - 20 February 2010 11:33 PM
Hi guys

was hoping someone could help me figure out what leads go where..

basically, id like to be able learn how to play guitar using the boss gt-10, and then switch to only the GR-33 sounds, an then blend the two. I have a Godin Freeway SA. (which has a three way toggle, namely.. guitar ONLY, guitar and synth blend, an synth only)..I havnt got a clue which leads go from which to which etc..

Also (sorry to be a nuisance).. how do i connect the GR-33 to my PC, so i can record etc? I have Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 and Cubase.. but I dont know how to set it all up :( I use something similar to this:

Sorry this is all very longwinded.. any help would be super!

Dave

Here's one I tried way back and it works. It did record quite fine.

10 steps to use Grape Light GR-33 Editor:

1. Connect the GR-33 unit and your computer with a midi-cable. Connect the midi-out of the GR-33 with the midi-in of your midi-interface or soundcard. Connect the midi-in of the GR-33 with the midi-out of your soundcard/midi-interface.
2. Start Grape Light.
3. Open the option menue and select the correct midi-ports.
4. Set the GR-33 unit into "bulk load waiting" mood. Press the system button of the GR and click the right parameter button until you reach this setting. Test the midi-connection with the test item of the option-menue of Grape Light.
5. In the patch collection menue choose "receive". The Gr-33 unit will send all its data to Grape Light. For safety save this collection as your original (patch collection-menue). You can load any single patch in the "selected patch"-menue in the same way.
6. Choose the patch you want to edit with a left double click.
7. Edit the patch as you like. To be able to hear the effect of your changes, click the "send to GR/Temp" button in the edit-window. The program will send the patch data to the the temporarary memory of the GR. They are not saved and your patch collection has not been modified!
8. To save your changes save your patch collection or patch with Grape Light.
9. Now you can transfer your modified programs to your synth-unit.(patch collection-menue, "transmit")
10. It is possible to save the edited patch in temporary memory of the Gr-33 by pressing the "write" button of your guitar-synth.

Posted: 08 January 2013 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-01-08
Hi,

I have a similar question about connecting Roland GR 33 with Boss GT 10. I have tried with several options but unable to switch between these 2 pedals. Can some help me with the connections to be able to use both GT 10 and GR 33.?

In short I want to use synth effects os GR 33 and other effects from GT 10.

Thanks in advance ,

Raj

‹‹ Roland D-50 problem      Juno G help please. ››